Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Orientation Day 1

The Walk Of Shame is the saying now when I'm dressed for work and walking from my door to car to drive to Knott's. Not only did people see me coming for a few miles away, but the few who had to walk past me was blinded. But when I walk from my car in Buena Park to work, it's a privilege to be wearing that bright neon green shirt, hat, and tan pants.

Today was my third time walking through the gates alone to go backstage. There's really not a lot of words to describe it. I'm extremely honored and happy to be working at a place known throughout the world. As I walked next to all the Haunt props and sets, I took a right to the training center to start my first day of orientation.

We started off by watching a slide show of what Knott's stands for, their motto, and what they expect. After came a few short videos of the history. And let me tell you, if you haven't already, look up the history of Knott's Berry Farm. It's pretty awesome. For example- Knott created the boysenberry. Every boysenberry in the world can be traced back to Knott's Berry Farm here in Southern California. There was a lot of facts like this, and history of the Theme Park altogether.

After the powerpoint, we then took a tour of Knott's, both backstage and onstage. We talked to a lot of managers in the different departments, and whenever we approached a building or ride talked about the history of it.

I want to make something clear to my hardcore Disney fan friends out there. First off, Disney is obviously my first choice of employment and career. It's still a passion, a dream, and a hobby. BUT, don't limit yourselves. Go see other theme parks, for example, Knott's Berry Farm. Walt had a little part to play with the other Walter, and the history behind BOTH parks are incredible. One could almost say Knott's Berry Farm inspired Disneyland in a few ways. I'll let you research it yourself and see what you think.

Back on topic. Today's orientation was pretty radical. Between learning more about the Park, and walking around with the guests as an official employee, I was filled with excitement. What do I think the best part of my job is? Hmm... Perhaps the free unlimited supply of coffee and tea!

Really though, I'm excited to finish my orientation tomorrow for my department and to actually start working. Is it Disneyland? No. But it's still awesome to be working for a Theme Park, to be working for a place that people come to have fun from all over the world, and to still experience the atmosphere of the authentic Old West.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, to this upcoming week, and to the upcoming months. Not just for work, but for everything that's going on in my life. God has blessed me with the opportunity to not only move, but to get a decent job, and to share this time in my life with incredible people. Thank you everyone supporting me and being there for me.

Oh, and one more thing.


Welcome to the Farm. It will be my pleasure to help you today.


No comments:

Post a Comment