Thursday, September 20, 2012

Classically Trained

After a few of my last posts online about soundtracks and music, some of you have asked what my experience is in the musical area. I thought it would be best to describe it here then just refer people to read it this way, instead of trying to explain it individually.


I started playing the piano when I was in third grade. As I practiced playing each night, I'd look at the shadow box hanging over my piano which contained my great grandfather's old violin. I begged my parents to start violin lessons, and by fifth grade they let me. (On a cheap violin, not on my grandfather's. "Once you're good enough", my dad said, "Then we will fix it and you can play that one.")


I started the violin in school, and picked it up incredibly fast. So fast, that my elementary school teacher wanted to do a duet with me for my last concert in sixth grade.
In seventh and eighth grade, I was in a summer music conservatory, Strolling Strings, Honor Orchestra, and played in my school orchestra. All of these lasted two years, and it was a steady competition between me and two other friends for first chair in school the entire two years. I also had the privilege of doing Magic Music Days, where we got to play in Disneyland. (My first backstage experience, that I remember to this day!)

I started private lessons in sixth grade, and continued until about two years ago.

My freshman year in high school I was in my school orchestra, The Bakersfield Youth Symphony, Honor Orchestra, and Solo Ensemble (Where you play a solo with a piano accompaniment for a judge.)

Sophomore, Junior, and Senior year was the same routine. School, Youth Symphony, Honor, and Solo Ensemble.

My Junior year, I was offered a full scholarship to Cal State Long Beach for music performance. I decided to turn it down for several reasons, and looking back now, it was the right choice.

Throughout my musical career, I had the amazing privilege to work with one of the finest conductors in California, to perform with Barrage,  to play for several weddings, parties, and funerals, to coach and teach younger kids, and to meet some truly great people all around the world.

What now? I haven't played much since I've moved to Southern California, and I decided not to pursue a career in music. But this won't keep me from continuing my passion. I plan on joining an orchestra down the road, continue teaching on the side and playing for weddings/parties. And who knows, maybe some day down the road, I'll be conducting or writing music for something. It definitely crosses my mind pretty often.

Oh, and when was I "Good Enough" to play my great-grandfather's violin? That would be in eighth grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment